Friday, June 11, 2010

Just the Facts, Ma'am...

by Proof

I think I'm going to be channeling Joe Friday a lot between now and November. And I'm not the only one! Perhaps you remember this rather disgraceful exchange back in June of 2009, between Barbara "Bouncer*" and Brigadier General Michael Walsh.



Ma'am is a title of respect in the south and in the military and virtually every where else except the vast, empty canyons between Barbara Boxer's ears. So, she interrupts a Brigadier General testifying in front of her, because he did not address her as “Senator”. She’d worked soooo hard to get there…as if a Brigadier General hadn’t! What a whiner!

And now, people are calling her to task for it. This afternoon on Tom Sullivan's radio show, all he would call Boxer was "Ma'am". Over at Michelle Malkin's, a guest blogger is referring to her as "Barbara “Ma’am” Boxer". And, not to be outdone, the Republican National Senatorial Committee has their own website:
CallMeMaam.com – Help Boxer Move from Being a “Senator” to a “Ma’am”".

Return Babs to private life? Shucks, ma'am! 'Tweren't nothin'!

*For her abysmal (and possibly illegal) penchant for writing checks against the House Bank for which there were no funds on deposit, during her brief stint in the House of Representatives.

Cross posted at Proof Positive

5 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I put my two cents worth in on the subject a few weeks ago in a post entitled "Don't Call Me Ma'am!" It addresses the use of the word in general, not just the Boxer fiasco. If you're curious, go to : http://gorges-smythe.blogspot.com/

DocRambo said...

7th Grade, Western Mass., I'd been raised as an Army brat, and it was "yes, Sir; and Yes, Ma'am." First day, sent to the principal's office and made to change classes because I had called my teacher "Ma'am", a "Madam" who is the proprietor of a house of prostitution. Rocked my world. Liberal ignorance is still rampant.

Mike aka Proof said...

I've been ma'am-ing civilians all my life, great and small. That's just the way I was raised.
Babs is a small minded, petty individual to take offense where none was meant.
Either that, or she just enjoyed the power trip over being able to boss her betters around.

Jessica Toller said...

I think it's great everyone continues to "ma'am" her. That's what I do to my little sister when she asks me to stop doing something that annoys her. My mom says I'm being immature, but I'm pretty sure she's a liberal.

Lady Cincinnatus said...

DocRambo and Proof - And we wonder why modern American life seems to have lost a bit of old fashioned respect and goodness. I know living down here in "back-water" Kentucky the ma'am's abound. I like it. :}